This 6½ hour advanced level workshop is designed for home health coders interested in a preview and comparison of ICD-10.
The class provides the information needed NOW as well as RECOMMENDATIONS & a TIMELINE for the TRAINING that should wait until closer to the October 2014 implementation.
- Tutorial of ICD-10-CM General Coding Guidelines & Conventions
- Overview of Organizational & Structural Changes Between ICD-9-CM & ICD-10-CM
- Introduction of New ICD-10 Concepts
- Cursory Overview of Pertinent Medical Terminology for Anatomy, Physiology & Pathophysiology in ICD-10-CM
- Timeline & Recommended Resources for the Transition to ICD-10-CM
- Familiarize Participants with ICD-10-CM Guidelines & Conventions
- Highlight the Differences Between the ICD-9-CM & ICD-10-CM
- Introduce New Features of New ICD-10-CM
- Create an Awareness of Current Knowledge Deficits in Medical Terminology & the Greater Specificity Required for the Assignment of ICD-10-CM Codes
- Provide a Practical Timeline & Official Resources to Facilitate a Smooth Transition to ICD-10 Proficiency
This class provides an overview of the preparatory knowledge required to ensure a successful transition from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM. CMS recommends that actual training for the use of the new ICD-10 code set should not begin until 6 – 9 months prior to the implementation date. In the meantime, the World Health Organization stressed that past experience demonstrates that countries providing preparatory education prior to the actual implementation had a smoother & more successful transition to ICD-10.